Introduction to Kayaking – 2 Evenings (Thunder Bay)
- Duration: 8 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: PYUNVY
In this two evening course you will learn the basic strokes, paddling skills and rescue skills for kayaking on enclosed and sheltered waters. A must for every new kayaker hoping to get the most from their paddling experience.
Upon successful completion of this course, paddlers will be awarded with the Paddle Canada Basic Kayak Certification.
Course Location: Boulevard Lake Park, Thunder Bay, Ontario
Age Requirements: Participants must be at least 12 years of age.
Course runs from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm on the following sessions:
- Tuesday, June 25th and Thursday, June 27th
- Wednesday, August 7th and Thursday, August 8th
Topics Covered Include:
- Rescue Skills - Wet exits, retrievals, assisted rescues, rafting
- Paddling Skills - lifting and carrying, the 4 strokes, low brace, edging
- General Knowledge - boat design, outfitting, clothing, safety equipment, paddles, injury prevention, equipment care
- Kayak and related gear (kayak, spray skirt, paddle, PFD) - please make sure to visit Wilderness Supply at least one week prior to the course to get fitted for your kayak
- National certification and registration with Paddle Canada
- Liability and Activity insurance
- PFD (personal flotation device) if you have your own
- Water and snacks
- Waterproof sunscreen
- Suitable paddling footwear and clothing (no cotton)
- Change of clothes
This course will run with a minimum of 3 people and a maximum of 6 per instructor.
Gratuities are not included in the course fees. Our instructors make every effort to ensure your course is all you expected and more. Recognition of a job well done is always appreciated. 5-10% of your course fee is recommended.
Groups wishing to fill a complete course may contact us and receive a 10% discount for filling the course.