Introduction to Canoeing
- Duration: 8 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: PLL4YI
In this full day course you will learn the basic strokes, paddling skills and rescue skills for canoeing on enclosed and sheltered waters. A must for every new canoeist hoping to get the most from their paddling experience.
This course is the foundation for any new paddler or those wishing to develop solid technique and skills. You will learn the fundamental canoe skills necessary to have a ton of fun out in the wilderness. An emphasis will be placed on safety and increasing overall general knowledge of the sport. This course will also build your confidence in paddling and tripping in the wilderness.
Upon successful completion of this course, paddlers will be awarded with the Paddle Canada Lake Canoe Skills Introduction Tandem Certification.
Course Location: Fort Whyte Alive Adventure Site 2505 McGillivray Blvd
Age Requirements: Participants must be at least 12 years of age.
Course runs from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. See the calendar located on your right for available course dates. Once you have found the course date that works for you, select the date, and then click Book Now to proceed.
Topics Covered Include:
- Rescue Skills - swamped canoe, canoe over canoe, towing, throw bags, rafting
- Paddling Skills - lifting and carrying, enter and exit canoe, canoe stability, paddling strokes and maneuvers
- General Knowledge - navigation, boat design, outfitting, clothing, safety equipment, paddles, injury prevention, equipment care
- Canoe, paddle, and PFD
- National certification and registration with Paddle Canada
- Entry to Fort Whyte Alive Adventure Site
- Liability and Activity insurance
- PFD (personal flotation device) if you have your own
- Water and snacks
- Waterproof sunscreen
- Suitable paddling footwear and clothing (no cotton)
- Change of clothes
This course will run with a minimum of 4 people and a maximum of 10 per instructor.
Gratuities are not included in the course fees. Our instructors make every effort to ensure your course is all you expected and more. Recognition of a job well done is always appreciated. 5-10% of your course fee is recommended.
Groups wishing to fill a complete course may contact us and receive a 10% discount for filling the course.