Canoeing Basic Skills
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: PZ4RQJ
Canoe Basics is designed for the novice or someone wanting to relearn the basic fundamentals of canoeing with a partner in calm sheltered waters. The skills and knowledge gained at this level form the foundation for basic paddling close to shore on sheltered bodies of water.
Upon successful completion of this course, paddlers will be awarded with the Paddle Canada Canoe Basic Skills Certification.
Course Location: Fort Whyte Alive Adventure Site 2505 McGillivray Blvd
Age Requirements: Participants must be at least 12 years of age.
Course runs on Monday evenings from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm. See the calendar located on your right for available course dates. Once you have found the course date that works for you, select the date, and then click Book Now to proceed.
Topics Covered Include:
- Paddling Skills - lifting and carrying, enter and exit canoe, canoe stability, paddling strokes and maneuvers
- General Knowledge - boat design, outfitting, clothing, safety equipment, paddles, injury prevention, equipment care
- Canoe, paddle, and PFD
- National certification and registration with Paddle Canada
- Entry to FortWhyte Alive Adventure Site
- Liability and Activity insurance
- PFD (personal flotation device) if you have your own
- Water and snacks
- Waterproof sunscreen
- Suitable paddling footwear and clothing (no cotton)
- Change of clothes
This course will run with a minimum of 4 people and a maximum of 10 per instructor.
Gratuities are not included in the course fees. Our instructors make every effort to ensure your course is all you expected and more. Recognition of a job well done is always appreciated. 5-10% of your course fee is recommended.
Groups wishing to fill a complete course may contact us and receive a 10% discount for filling the course.