Whitewater Rescue Technician
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
- Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Product code: P674N0
Whitewater Rescue Technician (WRT) Levels I, II, & III - 4 Days
May 28th - 31st 2020
Perform effective rescues when river running.
Get international certification as a Whitewater Rescue Technician (WRT)—the standard for river guides, instructors, and paddlers. Build confidence, knowledge, and skills through hands-on practice and simulations.
You'll gain tools for rescues, starting in easy rapids then challenging yourself in harder water and more complex situations. Become competent performing effective rescues with limited resources—and making smart decisions when river running.
You can also take the course over two 2-day blocks by doing the Whitewater Rescue (WWR) Levels I & II and then, anytime within the three year certification period, taking the WRT-Bridge Level III.
- 16 years and up. 16 & 17 year olds need written parental consent
- Swimming ability is necessary
- Pre-course prep (see below)
Take away materials:
- Waterproof course manual: Whitewater Rescue Field Guide
- Locking rescue carabiner & 5m of tubular webbing for your rescue kit
- Certification card, practical evaluation record sheet, Whitewater Rescue Technician sticker
What to expect:
- Get tons of hands-on practice with experienced instructors, a great learning environment, and a well-run course
- Increase your knowledge of the river environment to avoid hazards and work with the water, not against it
- Practice techniques such as swimming, wading, and throwing ropes to move around the river, perform self-rescues, and rescue others
- Learn knots, anchors, and rope systems for use in equipment recovery and transportation
- Gain the tools to carry out effective rescues with limited resources when river running
- Progress from learning skills in easy water to performing more complex rescues in bigger rapids
- Gain experience and confidence through challenging simulations and drills
This course will run with a minimum of 8 people.