Introduction to Kayaking - 8 Hours (Outdoors)
- Duration: 8 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: P4YDJR
In this full day course you will learn the basic strokes, paddling skills and rescue skills for kayaking on enclosed and sheltered waters. A must for every new kayaker hoping to get the most from their paddling experience.
Upon successful completion of this course, paddlers will be awarded with the Paddle Canada Basic Kayak Certification.
Course Location: Fort Whyte Alive Adventure Site 2505 McGillivray Blvd
Age Requirements: Participants must be at least 12 years of age.
Course runs from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. See the calendar located on your right for available course dates. Once you have found the course date that works for you, select the date, and then click Book Now to proceed.
Topics Covered Include:
- Rescue Skills - Wet exits, retrievals, assisted rescues, rafting
- Paddling Skills - lifting and carrying, the 4 strokes, low brace, edging
- General Knowledge - boat design, outfitting, clothing, safety equipment, paddles, injury prevention, equipment care
- Kayak and related gear (kayak, spray skirt, paddle, PFD)
- National certification and registration with Paddle Canada
- Entry to FortWhyte Alive Adventure Site
- Liability and Activity insurance
- PFD (personal flotation device) if you have your own
- Water and snacks
- Waterproof sunscreen
- Suitable paddling footwear and clothing (no cotton)
- Change of clothes
This course will run with a minimum of 3 people and a maximum of 6 per instructor.
Gratuities are not included in the course fees. Our instructors make every effort to ensure your course is all you expected and more. Recognition of a job well done is always appreciated. 5-10% of your course fee is recommended.
Groups wishing to fill a complete course may contact us and receive a 10% discount for filling the course.